Start Making Delicious Salads
In chapter one, you will learn how to make:
- Dandelion Greens with Bacon
- Tomato Salad
- Bean Salad
- Mache with Bacon
- Carrot Salad
- Tomato with Mimolette Cheese
- Bean Salad
- Green Bean Salad
- Potato Salad with Vinaigrette and Bacon Bits
- Potato Salad with Mayonnaise
Sample Recipe: Dandelion Greens with Bacon Salad
A quick note about the Dijon mustard – for this recipe, I prefer the smooth variety as opposed to the grainy. Serves: 4-6
- Wash the dandelions well, and cut them in two-inch pieces. Place in a salad bowl.
- Mix the mustard with the vinegar, cream, salt and pepper, and pour over the greens. Toss together until combined.
- Top with bacon bits, and enjoy your detox!
2 bundles dandelion greens
1 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
Splash of white wine vinegar
1/4 cup (60 mL) 35% cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Bacon bits (as much as you like)
Every spring my grandmother Mia went into the fields and came home with fresh dandelion greens. She would eat them for seven days in a row, which she said was cleansing her body of toxins. Of course, as children we didn’t much care about this kind of cleansing, we only cared about good taste… but funny how some of the healthiest foods are also the world’s most delicious! Dandelion greens are often available at your local grocery store or farmer’s market in the spring. But, depending on the season of course, I still go to my lawn and get them there since we do not spray against weeds. You should have seen my children’s friends’ faces one day when they saw me return from the fields with a basket full of dandelion greens: it was priceless.