- 1 can of salt free kidney beans
- 1 can of salt free butter bean
- 1 can of salt free black beans
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 big yellow onion, chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped, remove as many seeds as you need, depending on how hot you can eat
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- salt, pepper, cumin, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, teaspoon each,
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup good quality dark chocolate
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on a big pot, add the onions, the jalapeño peppers and the spices and saute for a bit or until the onions are translucent, add the green pepper, saute for a minute more, add the beans (drain them first, of course) , saute for a minute more, add the tomatoes, stir and simmer for about 20 – 30 minutes. Now add the dark chocolate and stir well until melted. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
To serve sprinkle the chopped cilantro and the freshly grated grated cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack or whatever cheese you like or no cheese and the sour cream on top.
A piece of fresh baked baguette is delicious with this.
And because we had already some chocolate in the chilli, I also give you now a recipe for a wonderful Mayan style hot chocolate, that is a great dessert after the chilli…and it is healthy, too.
1 cup almond or real milk
1 tablespoon raw cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder, cayenne pepper and cinnamon each
1 teaspoon of Maple syrup or a bit more, if you like it sweet.
Put milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup in pot, heat up and mix well.
*For the bigger kids add a bit of tequila .